incubator-general mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Re: Starting from the other end
Date Mon, 19 Oct 2015 22:34:59 GMT
On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 9:55 PM, Ted Dunning <ted.dunning@gmail.com> wrote:
> We have just had a few interminable threads regarding what is wrong with
> incubator and jumping directly to implementation attempts for changes.
>
> That isn't the way I would code something complex so it seems to me that by
> analogy we might want to start from the other end and start with what we
> all agree on.
>
> Building on that agreement and common ground, I think it will be much, much
> easier to determine where we have weaknesses, bottlenecks or limitations
> and also to suggest improvements.
>
> To do this, I am going to start a google doc to describe WHAT the incubator
> is supposed to do (easier to edit than a wiki) and once that document
> stabilizes a bit will move it to the wiki.
>
> That document should be able to let us move to similar efforts to describe
> HOW the incubator currently works.  I would hope that one side effect of
> this second stage would be to pull together current documentation on the
> current incubator.
>
> At that point, we can point out specific improvements and start the real
> work of making things better.
>
> So here we go. The first step (What Apache Incubator Does) can be edited at
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dxUVHGWcj83wIVnskYL7iM7PiiScLLNS4HjGHa6LsgA/edit?usp=sharing

I've reviewed the document and left a couple of comments. Feel free
to incorporate the suggestions in the main text.

In my view this document achieves the goal of stating things that
we can all agree on as to what Incubator should be doing. It works
great as a doc you can put on the front page of incubator.apache.org.

What it currently lacks is specifics on how are we going to make
sure that all the right things that this document postulates actually
happen. There's not explanation of checks-n-balances.

So, for example (just to pick a random spot) when we talk about "The
Apache Incubator's
function at this point  is..." I think we can all agree on what the function is
but what is the process that guarantees that that functions succeeds is the
million dollar question.

Ted, was it your intent to first get an agreement on *what* we all expect
from the Incubator and then follow up on *how* are these expectations
going to be met by our current policies?

Thanks,
Roman.