incubator-general mailing list archives

From Daniel Gruno <humbed...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] [REVISED] Mentor neutrality policy
Date Sun, 11 Oct 2015 21:39:16 GMT
First off: Can we *please* focus on the revised proposal and not get
into a loop about the original email? I'll change the topic if that helps.

The revised edition, as partly suggested by Sam (and echoed by Bertrand)
was:

- Binding votes on incubation, graduation and/or retirement are only
valid when given by members of the IPMC who are independent from the
podling in question. Mentors are free to recommend such actions, but
cannot cast a vote themselves.

I don't believe I mentioned MIA mentors anywhere - is that something you
wish to discuss as well?

With regards,
Daniel.

On 10/11/2015 11:34 PM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
> I’m -1 on on this.  The whole premise of the ASF is that it is a meritocracy and that
volunteers at various “levels” of the organization have attained their status because
they are trustworthy.  Without this premise, the ASF falls apart.

> Finally, it’s not clear to me that this addresses the problem of MIA mentors.  If they
were supposedly tied in some manner to the incubation and graduation of a podling,  then they
are definitely active during its incubation; I have no problem with that because in my book,
they are trustworthy.

> I’ve made proposals to solve the problems listed below, the causes of which are, imo,
volunteerism and a free ride into a project and its PMC.  My proposal was after 3 missed votes,
the mentor is automatically removed with simple no-fuss reinstatement procedures should the
mentor wish to redeem themselves.  Mentors cannot stay with the podling when it graduates.