incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Calcite graduation review
Date Wed, 02 Sep 2015 04:13:02 GMT
On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 7:10 PM, John D. Ament <johndament@apache.org> wrote:

> I would like to hear from mentors on whether or not they agree.  I see one
> note regarding the majority of commits coming from a single contributor.  I
> think it was answered properly.

As a mentor, I think that they are very ready to commit.  There is a strong
commitment to diversity and to license hygiene in the project.

I was the one who suggested an outside mentor review. My thought is that
given the hullabaloo that accompanies some graduation votes, it would be
good to have somebody from a different incubator sub-culture to look at the
project.

My guess is that the best review would be by somebody very
Apache-experienced but who is unfamiliar with Calcite. Preferably, even
somebody who isn't from the Hadoop/Lucene tradition.

The particular things I would want to hear would be

- does it appear to be easy to approach the community?

- can development status be understood by outsiders and newcomers?

- all the things I don't know to ask for because I am too heavily rooted in
this sub-community.

This is the likely nearly the last chance for the incubator to have a
positive impact on this project and it would be nice if they could get as
wide a view as possible.