incubator-general mailing list archives

From Kris Popat <krispo...@apache.org>
Subject Looking for a Champion for ORDs
Date Tue, 15 Sep 2015 13:08:27 GMT
Hello All,

A while back I started a brief discussion about inclubating ORDS (Oxford Research Database
System). However, we had a pause in this process over the summer whilst some potential IP
issues were sorted out, these have been resolved.

I would like to start looking for a Champion for the project again.

Here is the first section of the proposal which has some adjustments from the previous post.

------
ORDS is a user and project centered, web-based  database-as-a-service (DbaaS) system with
data publishing.

ORDS imports data from recognized sources such as csv files, spreadsheets, and relational
database files into structured online databases to provide DbaaS functionality. The databases
are stored in an RDBMS (PostgreSQL with ORM access). It has a full set of high-level tools
for managing and editing these databases, including tools that give users the ability to create
versioned snapshots of data and share specific datasets. New databases can also be created
using these tools.  Databases are housed in projects and associated with users with given
roles. The data can be exported in common formats.
-----

We believe strongly that the ASF would be good place for this project to grow because of it’s
tradition of upholding good open source practice.

In brief it is in use by researchers at Oxford and there is a lot of interest in the sector
for using it in other institutions.  Promotion of the system is already happening and this
should give us a route for getting users, documenters, testers and developers involved.
It is written in Java and uses Tomcat, PostgreSQL though the database can be switched as we
use JPA for all db access.

I have worked on the full proposal and can post it on this list if required or will put it
on the wiki as and when is appropriate.  I just didn’t want to clog this email with a whole
proposal at this stage.

Please let me know if you are interested in Championing this project or know of any member
who might be.

Many thanks

Kris Popat

Developer | Consultant Researcher