incubator-general mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] TinkerPop 3.0.1-incubating Release
Date Tue, 15 Sep 2015 09:39:13 GMT
Hi,

> I suppose I still could have missed something, but I thought i'd gotten the bulk of it
right - could you please
> tell me what you noticed that I missed or misunderstood from your last
> post?

Only things in the release need to be in LICENSE or NOTICE [1]. I’d check that first. Permissive
licensed software (i.e. MIT/BSD) don't need to go in NOTICE [5], I can see there a few of
those there.

> Does that simply mean that I should remove all apache licensed dependencies
> from the binary NOTICE and all is good?

Generally when adding Apache licenced software there's no need to modify LICENSE or NOTICE
unless it has a NOTICE file [2]. That means you generally don’t have to add much when bundling
other ASF projects especially when they have a boilerplate NOTICE file. [3] The no need to
add Apache licensed software to LICENSE but it not an licensing error to do so. I generally
don’t mind that as it makes checking releases a little easier when reviewing.

Not that dependancies of dependancies matter [4]. Rather than go down that rabbit hole just
look inside all the jars in the release with something like this:
find . -name "*.jar" -exec tar ft {} \; | sort -u > paths.txt

Look at all of the classes contained to see what’s included. For example with TinkerPop
I see that it includes "com/carrotsearch/hppc” and looking at its license (Apache) I can
see it has a NOTICE file (which looks incorrect but that’s another story), so that would
need to be considered and possibly something added to TinkerPop’s NOTICE. In this case I’d
probably assume a standard NOTICE and add a copyright line to the NOTICE file - but that’s
not the only valid solution. It's may not be always clear cut what needs to be done and you
may have to consider each on a case by case basis.

If any questions come up ask you mentors, ask this list or on legal discuss.

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#guiding-principle
2.. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#alv2-dep