incubator-general mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: apache binary distributions
Date Mon, 10 Aug 2015 13:40:51 GMT
On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 3:33 AM, Roman Shaposhnik <roman@shaposhnik.org> wrote:
> ...do we aspire to have a monopoly on certain
> binary convenience artifacts? IOW, if a Hadoop PMC blessed and RPM
> as one of those artifacts, does it mean that only that RPM (however
> potentially screwed up it is from the standpoint of Fedora packaging
> guidelines) is the RPM that can be called Hadoop?...

IMO what's important is for users to be informed of the provenance of
any binaries that they use. Exactly how they are named does not really
matter, if a binary package is named just "Hadoop-x.y.z" but clearly
belongs to Fedora I suppose that's fine, even though
"Fedora-Hadoop.x.y.z" would be better IMO, but not always practical
probably.

>> ....Kermit's binary package should be named like
>> "kermit-httpd-2.4.16.tgz" to help prevent confusion.
>
> Well, this is not what's happening: http://pkgs.org/search/httpd ...

As Bill says, httpd's name and long history which might explain a lot
of this, but we can do better now.

-Bertrand