incubator-general mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: third party tooling.
Date Wed, 05 Aug 2015 23:15:44 GMT
jan i wrote:

>> I want to make sure I have not overlooked a policy or rule.

Corinthia is not required to be compatible with any particular platform.
Consider why this is desirable: one might provide open source code which only
works with a proprietary compiler, and then someone else might take your open
source and adapt it for use with a different compiler.

So long as the licensing of the open source product distributed by Apache is
not impacted by the platform choice in such a way that it would cause it to
violate law or Apache policy, we're in the clear.

See this Legal FAQ:

  http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved#platform

Roman Shaposhnik wrote in reply to jan i:

> I'm not aware of any policy like that. That said, I'd say the rule in my book
> is very close to Linux packaging guidelines. Open source software *must*
> be bootsrappable from source using *only* open source software binaries
> as the input.
>
> It is absolutely fine to use the closed source tools to facilitate the release
> process, etc. But the above rule has to hold if you want to call yourself
> open source.

That would add conditions which go beyond OSI's widely accepted Open Source
Definition:

  http://opensource.org/osd

Also, "Linux packaging guidelines"?  What does that refer to?  The Debian Free
Software Guidelines?

Marvin Humphrey