incubator-general mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Re: third party tooling.
Date Thu, 06 Aug 2015 18:40:05 GMT
On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 2:12 AM, Greg Stein <gstein@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 2:25 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 1:57 AM, Roman Shaposhnik <roman@shaposhnik.org>
>> wrote:
>> > ...you can call yourself open source software all you want,
>> > but unless you get an exception from Fedora Packaging Committee
>> > you are not open enough for the distribution to consider your work...
>>
>> But that's doesn't make your project invalid or useless.
>

> Right.
>
> I don't know where you're coming from Roman, but the Foundation doesn't
> require our projects to be built via "bootsrappable [sic] from source using
> *only* open source software binaries as the input". Never has, never will.
> So to Jan's original question: totally fine, no issues with compiler
> dependencies for certain platforms.

We're in total agreement. I was just articulating a principle that increases
downstream consumption of our projects, but in no way was trying to position
that principle as part of the policy.

> Our software is defined by ALv2 and the "Category" licenses for
> dependencies.
>
> We are Open Source by the OSI definition, and any reasonable person's
> definition. If Fedora believes otherwise, then they better pony up a reason
> why. I can't believe they think ASF software is not Open Source, so I don't
> know where you're going with that.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves, shall we? ;-) Everything I said in this thread
is *my* opinion on what an ultimate definition of open source project must
include (or at least recommend). Fedora has a set of principles around what
they include in a distro. These are different. What I was saying is that their
packaging principle actually makes sense to me as part of the OSI definition.

As to the reason why I feel this is a fundamental feature of a true open source
project -- we can discuss that in a different thread. I do feel pretty strongly
about that.

Thanks,
Roman.