incubator-general mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] HAWQ Incubation Proposal
Date Fri, 28 Aug 2015 23:45:52 GMT
On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 11:44 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz
<bdelacretaz@apache.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 5:14 AM, Roman Shaposhnik <rvs@apache.org> wrote:
>> ...most of the core developers are currently NOT affiliated
>> with the ASF and would require new ICLAs before committing to the
>> project....
>> == Affiliations ==
>>   * Pivotal: everyone else on this proposal...
>
> So IIUC that's about 50 committers from the same company and most of
> them don't have experience with open source, or at least not at the
> ASF.

Well, like the proposal says -- most don't but at least ~10 do (those
are the same guys working on Geode).

> Doesn't that drastically lower the chances of the project creating a
> diverse community?
>
> I would much prefer a smaller list of initial committers who have been
> identified as having experience or a solid potential to be ASF
> committers, and let others be elected based on merit as the project
> progresses.

I would agree that this could be a problem if the project didn't have
enough active mentors to help a large # of folks master the Apache Way.
With Justin volunteering at this point we've got 6 very active, very
experienced mentors. I really don't think the # of committers should be
a problem.

Thanks,
Roman.