incubator-general mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] HAWQ Incubation Proposal
Date Fri, 21 Aug 2015 22:23:23 GMT
On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 3:00 AM, Ted Dunning <ted.dunning@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is Madlib even viable as an independent project?

Yes it is extremely viable. There's been a number of prototypes of porting
MADlib to other SQL-on-Hadoop projects (Impala is the one I know of)
and also quite a bit of activity on the PostgreSQL side like a recent GSoC
project where a student added  a clustering algorithms to MADLIB as
part of PostgreSQL GSoC, not even MADlib's one. Finally it is still hugely
popular with GreenplumDB users. Now, of course  GreenplumDB hasn't
been open sourced yet, but we're actively working on making it happen
soon.

Hortonworks folks working on Hive were pretty enthusiastic about a possible
MADlib integration story as well.

> Should it be part of the overall Hawq project?

Its funny that you ask, because MADlib community is giving me feedback
that I've managed to downplay how I managed to downplay MADlib's
cross-platform nature:
    http://madlib.net/pipermail/user/2015-August/000212.html

Thanks,
Roman.