incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <Ross.Gard...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: Reform of Incubator {was; [DISCUSSION] Graduate Ignite from the Apache Incubator)
Date Mon, 03 Aug 2015 19:23:16 GMT
" This is that proverbial "political overhead" that a lot of folks are accusing ASF of and
cite as a reason of not going into the foundation. Which is grossly unfair at the board level,
but unfortunately seems to be very true at IPMC level today."

+1000

-----Original Message-----
From: shaposhnik@gmail.com [mailto:shaposhnik@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Roman Shaposhnik
Sent: Monday, August 3, 2015 12:13 PM
To: general@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Reform of Incubator {was; [DISCUSSION] Graduate Ignite from the Apache Incubator)

On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 3:44 AM, Joe Brockmeier <jzb@zonker.net> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 2, 2015, at 10:05 PM, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:
>> I've been waiting for a bout a week for other to chime in, but it
>> seems that nobody has so I'll repeat my question as of a week ago:
>> what would be the effective way to change the status quo around IPMC
>> an make it more board like?
>>
>> Perhaps we can start from making the release policy actually make
>> sense along the lines that Ross has outlined. I guess I can propose a
>> change to the current policies (or to Ross'
>> point just get it back from the wayback machine :-)).
>>
>> But seriously, who else thinks the movement towards empowering PPMCs
>> and making IPMC very much like the board makes sense?
>
> I think the thread fizzled because there's not a lot of support for
> the idea. At least, on my end, I'm not in favor.

Yup. I believe this to be an unfortunate (at least from my standpoint) but and extremely fair
observation.

As far as I'm concerned the issue of R&Rs of IPMC is in a state of a stalemate right now.
We clearly have a "everything's fine lets just add more policy" constituency vs. "IPMC should
be small and more board like" crowd.

The good news is that we're all united on making sure that the foundation is growing by podlings
making progress and graduating to TLPs. The bad news is that because of the current mentality
I don't see the types of unfortunate threads that Ignite just went through going away anytime
soon.

This is that proverbial "political overhead" that a lot of folks are accusing ASF of and cite
as a reason of not going into the foundation. Which is grossly unfair at the board level,
but unfortunately seems to be very true at IPMC level today.

It is clear to me that the change has very little chance of coming from within IPMC.

Thanks,
Roman.