incubator-general mailing list archives

From Andy Seaborne <a...@apache.org>
Subject Re: apache package naming convention
Date Sat, 08 Aug 2015 09:25:57 GMT
Hi,

Jena graduated 2012 with old namespaces under com.hp.hpl.jena, and some
under org.openjena, with an intention to change at the first major
release update.  As new packages came along, they went into
org.apache.jena but the user facing packages remained where they were.

We released Jena 3.0.0 last month, so 3 years. That major release was
coupled to another incompatible change (RDF 1.1 semantics) so 3.x
wasn't just to do the packages, package renaming waited until a
convenient point.

Our users have data with (RDF) namespaces under old names - we are not
planning on changing that at all.  (A general issue for all linked data.)

I don't see it as an issue for graduation if the project has considered
the matter.

	Andy