incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jochen Theodorou <blackd...@gmx.org>
Subject Re: apache binary distributions
Date Fri, 07 Aug 2015 10:18:39 GMT
Am 07.08.2015 02:50, schrieb Roman Shaposhnik:
> On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 1:15 AM, Jochen Theodorou <blackdrag@gmx.org> wrote:
[...]
> The assumption  that you're making is a reasonable one: only PMC is
> authorized to make work available (which will mean that everything
> else is derived work). That said, I'd appreciate if somebody can
> point out to me the basis on which we make an assertion that
> only PMC is authorized to produce releases of apache projects.

Official releases are released releases in the apache sense, meaning
there has been a voting and in that the PMC votes are binding. For me
that authorizes the PMC to produce official releases of apache projects.
Of course unreleased releases can in theory be made by everyone.

[...]
> IOW, what makes a binary convenience artifact an official ASF
> artifact is not whether it got designated as such, but whether it
> corresponds to an official source release produced by the PMC.

ok, noted

[...]
>> Then again nightly builds should be ok, if they will have the
>> same disclaimer?
>
> No. Nightly builds are special precisely because they don't
> correspond to an official source release.

understood

>> Or is it ok if the nightly build comes from
>> non-apache?
>
> It is ok, but at that point it becomes 3d party artifact and as
> such can't be promoted as part of ASF project.

can't be promoted means no link or description on the web page? Not even
with disclaimer?

[...]
> As I said -- that person(*) (even a PMC member of the project) as
> a person has even more rights than a PMC does, except in one
> crucial area -- that person can NOT speak on behalf of the project
> (and that includes linking to that person's artifacts from the PMC
> managed assets: website, wiki, etc.).
>
> Other than that, that person is absolutely free to:
>     #1 produce maven binaries based on, really anything,
>          including but not limited to snapshot of source tree
>     #2 distribute those binaries however he/she sees fit
>          provided they can't be confused with project's binaries.
>          Modifying versionID while leaving everything else
>          as-is is considered acceptable.
>
> #2 of course may be subject to constraints of distribution
> channel. An example is a recently  cited Maven Central
> policy where they are NOT allowing to publish SNAPSHOTs
> AND they only allow owners of the groupID to publish.
> Those constraints, of course, have nothing to do with
> ASF or the project -- those are Maven Central constraints.

ok, as long as this is general opinion.

bye blackdrag

--
Jochen "blackdrag" Theodorou