incubator-general mailing list archives

From Daniel Gruno <humbed...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Reform of Incubator {was; [DISCUSSION] Graduate Ignite from the Apache Incubator)
Date Tue, 04 Aug 2015 11:15:37 GMT

On 2015-08-04 13:01, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 8:33 PM, Roman Shaposhnik <roman@shaposhnik.org> wrote:
>> ...Which would be totally fine and gets us back to the point Daniel and I were
>> discussing: a release compliance team (horrible name, I know) as part of ASF....
> IMO it's not a team that's needed, just a clear and "modular" release checklist.
>
> By modular I mean something like our maturity model [1] where each
> item is atomic and numbered so one could say "this release doesn't
> comply with RM-42" and everybody knows what it's about.
>
> And there's no inventing new checklist items unless they are approved
> by the PMC who owns the checklist.
>
> IMO the Incubator PMC can very much own this checklist, and I
> volunteer to contribute to creating it.
>
> We do have a starting point at
> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/release.html but the release
> checklist might need more explanations, as footnotes, and its own page
> to keep the noise low.

Hi Bertrand,
If interested, I would very much like to work with you on perhaps
turning this into a sort of 'online compliance check' where podlings
could upload a tarball or some such, and the service would scan it for
compliance, go through the checklist, and report back which elements are
compliant and which are not. I think that this, while not being 100%
accurate, would save a lot of time and aggravation when dealing with the
initial release candidates, and save us a lot of time by automating what
we tend to spend quite a lot of time doing manually.

This won't solve everything, but it would really cut down on the time
that is, in my opinion, wasted on getting a release through the IPMC,
while still retaining the policies and rules we need in order to comply
with our legal requirements.

With regards,
Daniel.