incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: third party tooling.
Date Wed, 05 Aug 2015 20:46:26 GMT
I don't have an answer about tooling with respect to the need for widely-available tools.
If the concern is for ability to use free tools on Windows, but there are alternatives to
requiring an expensive commercial IDE for users while still taking advantage of the Microsoft
development tool chain.

The Visual Studio Community Edition 2013 is free to use for open-source projects.  I would
recommend it simply because it is available for development on and for Windows and should
work for Corinthia (although I haven't tried your builds there).  This works if you are creating/publishing
Visual Studio projects.

It might also be desirable to use Visual Studio Community Edition 2015, which is now released
and available.

-----Original Message-----
From: jan i [mailto:jani@apache.org]
Sent: Wednesday, August 5, 2015 12:04
To: general@incubator.apache.org
Subject: third party tooling.

Hi.

We have recently (again) on different list discussed third party libraries.
Some strong
opinions have been aired.

So we have rules/policies for libraries but how about tooling, I have not
been able to
find any "do not do this" page.

I am about to prepare a release for Corinthia, which is a C99 project. I
would like to
write in the release note, that on ms-Windows we test with Visual Studio
2013, simply
because that is a fact.

But Visual Studio 2013 is not a free version so which rules/policies will I
break by not
testing with e.g. GCC on windows ?
(I hope none, but better ask than have to cut a new release candidate).

rgds
jan i.