incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Podlings and the ASF maturity model (was: Reform of Incubator...)
Date Wed, 05 Aug 2015 14:54:38 GMT
OK, thanks Bertrand.  My recollection of the maturity-model discussion was that it is about
an ideal state and not some gate, and that projects would always be correcting their state
toward that defined in the model.  I confirm that the current document simply characterizes
what the state is for a mature project.

I see no statement anywhere that a TLP, or a graduating incubator project, must pass through
a maturity assessment.  It would certainly be useful for a podling to conduct a self-assessment
of its maturity before requesting graduation.

It would also be useful for an operating TLP to assess itself with respect to the model, especially
if there are concerns in that regard.

I am neutral on how this fits into graduation criteria for podlings.  However, if it is used
for gating purposes, I think that needs to be made very clear by the IPMC lest it just lead
to more randomizing of the podling seasoning process.  In particular, mentors need to be on
board with respect to their responsibilities.  I can also imagine a graduation going forward
(just as releases can) with certain items remaining to be addressed post-graduation.  I note
that, at the moment, there is no direct reference to the Project Maturity Model at the <https://www.apache.org/dev/project-requirements>
draft nor at the Incubation Policy, <https://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html>.

I can also imagine a TLP using (or being asked to use) the project maturity model as a checklist
in assessing their current state in a report to the Board.

Are these the kinds of applications that folks have in mind?

 -- Dennis