incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: apache binary distributions
Date Tue, 18 Aug 2015 05:06:25 GMT
On dev-community, you mentioned something that caught my eye.  Although it is a bit OT, maybe
not, Roman's observation on this thread (abridged below).

Indulge me in borrowing the key bit for me:

    I get so worked up when 'general public'
    in our release policy gets [mis]interpreted
    as mostly related to 'end users'.
    But that's a pet peeve for a different thread ;-)

I think that the general public becomes involved in multiple ways.

First and foremost has to do with the next-in-line adopter of an Apache Project release.
That can be two-fold when there are convenience binaries that have quite different next-in-line
adopters, as for Apache OpenOffice.

Although take-up of the AOO source for packaging in Linux distributions is not a significant
factor (LibreOffice having that distribution case pretty well nailed down), there are next-in-line
integrators and customizers.

For AOO a key consideration is that the software is for end-user purposes and somewhere end-users
and the general public touch it massively.  And that software and those users come back to
the project with their Bugzilla issues, mailing list reports, forum searches, etc.  They are
certainly and clearly in the cycle of learning-and-improvement and their adoption of the software,
however binaries reach them, is a big deal.

This may be an aberration with respect to the ASF prototypical case, but it is not so much
with respect to open-source itself.  And authenticity and protection of the brand/trade-mark
are serious.  I suspect similar considerations arise for software that has end-user importance,
whether for productivity, web browsing, social connections, or tools for media and image creation.

The key point is that knowing the *variety* of next-in-line adopters is important, including
is the ultimate end-points where usability, reliability, and other continuation-influencing
factors feed back to the project very directly.

Just sayin'

 - Dennis