incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ian Maxon <ima...@uci.edu>
Subject Re: Podling request: Gerrit
Date Thu, 16 Jul 2015 00:26:20 GMT
+1. This is basically how I see it as well.

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 4:18 PM, Till Westmann <tillw@apache.org> wrote:

>> On Jul 16, 2015, at 12:25 AM, David Nalley <david@gnsa.us> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 5:48 PM, Mattmann, Chris A (3980)
>> <chris.a.mattmann@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
>>> Hi Folks,
>>>
>>> Can someone clarify in simple terms what the issue is here?
>>>

>> There's a few issues Chris:
>
> Let me try to describe this in terms how most members of the AsterixDB community probably
see it.

>> 1. Contributions are being submitted, discussed, and accepted
>> externally. No record of the submission, discussion, or acceptance is
>> currently maintained at the ASF.
>
> AsterixDB uses a Gerrit instance hosted at UCI as a code review tool before submitting
to the master branch.
> Discussions on modifications are indeed happening in Gerrit and are currently not forwarded
to the ASF mailing lists, but forwarding those discussions should be possible.
> After discussion, review, and acceptance in the review tool, an AsterixDB committer manually
commits the reviewed modification to the master branch in the ASF repository.
> If the original author of the modification of the code was an AsterixDB committer, the
commit should be done by the original author.
> If the original author was another contributor, the commit should be done by the AsterixDB
committer who reviewed and validated the modification.

>> 2. As in 1) contributions are being accepted externally, and then
>> synced, to the ASF repo, essentially making it the mirror, rather than
>> the required canonical copy.
>
> Contributions are accepted by an AsterixDB committer on a tool that is not hosted by
the ASF.
> It is not clear why that makes the acceptance external to the project or the ASF.
> After acceptance, an AsterixDB committer commits the modifications to the ASF repo.
> The master branch of the ASF repository is considered to be the source of truth and the
basis for releases.
> It is not obvious, why the fact that the modifications were reviewed in Gerrit before
being committed to the ASF repo would make the ASF repo a “non-canonical” copy.