incubator-general mailing list archives

From Valentin Kulichenko <valentin.kuliche...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Graduate Ignite from the Apache Incubator
Date Thu, 23 Jul 2015 23:25:49 GMT
Hi Ted,

I think the main question here, is whether Ignite community fully following
the Apache Way, or in other words has an active meritocratic community
which is open and makes it easy for people to join.

In my opinion, absolutely Yes.

The project guidelines are fully documented on the website and Wiki,
guidelines on how to contribute and become a committer are documented as
well. All emails about joining the community and becoming a contributor are
answered in timely fashion [1]. In fact, Ignite has one of the easiest
barriers to become a committer - all you need to do is contribute at least
one patch to qualify [2].

[1]
http://apache-ignite-developers.2346864.n4.nabble.com/Regarding-contribution-to-Ignite-td1715.html
[2]
https://ignite.incubator.apache.org/community/contribute.html#become-committer

Is the community open or has some secret Jira or other types of dicussions?
I have been on the PPMC from the very beginning, and believe we now have
come a long way. I believe that everyone in the community, including old
and new members, have absolutely embraced the Apache Way. There are no
secret Jiras or secret discussions taking place of any sort. Quite frankly,
I personally find it hard for myself to code anything without discussing it
on the dev list first, and I believe that everyone in the Ignite community
feels the same way. I think that most people looking at our project would
agree that we have a very active dev list and everyone in the community is
participating.

Do all issues get discussed on the dev list? I would say we are very close
to it. Yes, of course, there is some Skype communication given that the
project is very complex and the team is distributed. But if you look on the
dev list you will see that  all (or close to all) of the discussions do
find their way to the dev list and the community does participate very
actively.

I do agree that our Jira handling could be better and believe that
community has already responded to these discussions and addressed some of
the raised concerns. The truth is that so far many Jira discussions have
happened on the dev list, including community members sending notifications
about starting and ending work on Jiras and discussing Jira issues on the
dev list as well. This was a preferred way selected by the community that
we followed. I do agree that Jiras should be updated better and will
encourage everyone to do so going forward.

Hope this clarifies some points raised here.

Thanks,
Valentin