incubator-general mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Graduate Ignite from the Apache Incubator
Date Wed, 29 Jul 2015 17:25:27 GMT
On Jul 29, 2015 11:37 AM, "Branko ─îibej" <brane@apache.org> wrote:

> On 29.07.2015 18:14, Joe Brockmeier wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 23, 2015, at 03:19 AM, Branko ─îibej wrote:
> >> Personally I'm not too happy with how this community tracks issues, but
> >> hey, if it works for them, why fix it? It'll be a fine day when the
IPMC
> >> starts telling podlings how their development workflow should look
like.
> > Does "works for them" translate into "people not currently in the
> > community can follow how the existing community tracks issues, so they
> > can contribute and become part of the community"? If so, then maybe it's
> > OK. If it's not transparent to folks not currently part of that
> > community, it's hard to see how the community will sustain itself with
> > new members as other folks inevitably move on to other projects.
>
> Given that new contributors keep showing up on a regular basis, I have
> to assume that it's not so opaque as all that.
>
> Anyway, Ignite has been discussing and implementing a revised (and IMO
> better) set of policies for Jira use and git workflow since this
> discussion started; other than displaying an incomprehensible preference
> for RTC, it seems to be going well.

I always translate RTC as "we don't trust you, so somebody else must
approve anything you do."

To me, that is a lousy basis for creating a community. Trust and peer
respect should be the basis, which implies CTR. I have seen many excuses
for RTC, but they all are just window dressing over mistrust.

-g