incubator-general mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Re: Podling request: Gerrit
Date Wed, 15 Jul 2015 23:48:21 GMT
On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 4:42 PM, Till Westmann <tillw@apache.org> wrote:
> 1) I think that we didn’t ask for an ASF hosted instance. But I also think that
> David’s concern that the absence of the service would disrupt the
> development of AsterixDB is valid. And thus it might make sense not to rely
> on an instance that is not hosted by the ASF. However, I think that the current
> instance has virtually no risk of disappearing soon and so this is not an urgent
> topic
>
> 2) I don’t see how the organization that hosts the Gerrit instance impacts the
> process. Independent of the organization that hosts the Gerrit instance, our
> process has an AsterixDB committer in the loop between Gerrit and the
> canonical project repository.

Like as said, as long as there's a human in the loop who applies the same level
of diligence to reviewing the authorship of commits as I alluded to in my reply
to Chris I don't see a problem with what is the system from which these commits
originated.

The reason I brought ASF hosted instance of Gerrit into discussion was because
I thought you wanted to get rid of the human in the loop.

Thanks,
Roman.