incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <Ross.Gard...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: Reform of Incubator {was; [DISCUSSION] Graduate Ignite from the Apache Incubator)
Date Sun, 26 Jul 2015 16:40:39 GMT
Note, there must be the binding +1 for a release. This means either three active mentors our
some assistance from the IPMC. This is fine, some IPMC members are very experienced in this
regard and are very helpful (as well as reasonable, that is understanding when something's
a blocker and when it's not).

My biggest concern is not releases (which thread days are much better). My concern is people
not being involved with a podling until an IPMC engagement is needed, then folks come out
of the woodwork and start pushing judgments from on high. That's not how it works.

The IPMC needs to ensure mentors are doing their job during incubation, not after it.  I agree
there IPMC should act more like the board in its oversight. That means two things:

1) get our of the way unless a problem is identified during the normal reporting process
2) ensure mentors are doing their job when reporting to the IPMC

In other words, hands on during reporting. Hands of at ask other times.

Sent from my Windows Phone
________________________________
From: Niclas Hedhman<mailto:niclas@hedhman.org>
Sent: ‎7/‎26/‎2015 8:08 AM
To: general@incubator.apache.org<mailto:general@incubator.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Reform of Incubator {was; [DISCUSSION] Graduate Ignite from the Apache Incubator)

On Sun, Jul 26, 2015 at 7:38 PM, Branko Čibej <brane@apache.org> wrote:

> The only downside of this proposal is that it assumes that every podling
> has at least three active (!) mentors.

No, I don't necessarily mean that you need 3 mentors either. One active
mentor would be fine with me. Empower the podling to stand on its own feet.
The Incubation disclaimers are plenty warning, otherwise it would be full
releases.

Take a poll among podlings and ask "Do you want to be more autonomous from
the IPMC?" and see what they say...

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer