incubator-general mailing list archives

From Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Graduate Ignite from the Apache Incubator
Date Wed, 22 Jul 2015 19:23:54 GMT
I reviewed Ignite’s commit log and email lists. I got the impression of a split personality:
The dev list[1] is very open and clearly following the Apache Way. Meanwhile, the commit log[2]
is (to my eyes at least) difficult to decipher.

In the commit log, messages such as "Merge remote-tracking branch 'origin/master’” and
"# master minor”, "GG-10559 - Improvements.” are typical. Very few descriptive comments
or references to IGNITE-xxx cases that could provide further explanation. Those are indications
to me that development is been driven by off-list meetings.

If the Ignite committers want to build a diverse community of developers, I think they need
to make their commits more transparent to match the excellent transparency they have achieved
on their mailing list.

Julian

[1] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-ignite-dev/201507.mbox/browser
[2] https://github.com/apache/incubator-ignite/commits/master