incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jochen Theodorou <blackd...@gmx.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Graduate Ignite from the Apache Incubator
Date Thu, 23 Jul 2015 05:11:13 GMT
Am 23.07.2015 05:13, schrieb Ted Dunning:
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 6:54 PM, Valentin Kulichenko <
> valentin.kulichenko@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Concerns have been raised about the people behind the actual commits,
>> that
>>> seems to be left open ?
>>>

>> The identity of the committers is never lost (at least to my knowledge). We
>> actually have the opposite problem of too many commits happening in
>> different branches because of our branching policy which requires a
>> separate branch for every ticket.
>>

> How are they preserved when the bug branch is deleted as per guidelines?

just to give the general idea and not claiming that the Ignite people do
it like that.. normally what you do is the following:

1) create a bug-fix branch based on master
2) commit your changes to the bug-fix branch
3) test/verify by the community and CI
4) merge bug-fix branch to master
5) delete bug-fix branch

In this process there is no loss of commits, the information stays in
the master branch. In git you normally keep only the branches people
work on, or you use tags.

Step 4 can be done in multiple ways. Of course normally the first choice
is the git based merge, but you can also work with a patch set (the
author/date information is not lost by this) or cherry-pick (which is
like duplicating the commit on another branch). branching off and
merging again, can be seen in tools like for example gitk or with for
example "git log --graph". Examples can for example be seen on
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1838873/visualizing-branch-topology-in-git
using different tools. Noteworthy here is that normal commits are
handled similar to branches. In other words, git does not really know a
concept like a branch as it was with svn/cvs. Instead it is an
elementary part of the system, that every commit has a parent and
possibly a child and from this results a commit graph. A branch is only
a commit noted as head. Deleting a branch thus means only to delete that
meta information. And unlike CVS/SVN git is based on a database. Even if
you do "git rm" to delete a file, it is still in the database and not
removed from history.

bye blackdrag

--
Jochen "blackdrag" Theodorou