incubator-general mailing list archives

From Daniel Gruno <humbed...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Graduate Ignite from the Apache Incubator
Date Wed, 22 Jul 2015 21:07:38 GMT
On 07/22/2015 09:23 PM, Julian Hyde wrote:
> I reviewed Ignite’s commit log and email lists. I got the impression of a split personality:
The dev list[1] is very open and clearly following the Apache Way. Meanwhile, the commit log[2]
is (to my eyes at least) difficult to decipher.

> In the commit log, messages such as "Merge remote-tracking branch 'origin/master’”
and "# master minor”, "GG-10559 - Improvements.” are typical. Very few descriptive comments
or references to IGNITE-xxx cases that could provide further explanation. Those are indications
to me that development is been driven by off-list meetings.

> If the Ignite committers want to build a diverse community of developers, I think they
need to make their commits more transparent to match the excellent transparency they have
achieved on their mailing list.

> Julian
>
> [1] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-ignite-dev/201507.mbox/browser
> [2] https://github.com/apache/incubator-ignite/commits/master

The GG-10559 commit log (along with the 'oops' email sent to dev by
mistake today) seems to indicate (this is just speculation, I would love
for someone to answer whether this is the case) that commits are being
based off an internal JIRA instance (or other bug tracking system) not
hosted at the ASF.

Furthermore, I have found that there are 207 JIRA tickets with NO
description, discussion or useful information other than ownership
changing hands and then suddenly the tickets have been resolved with no
explanation, suggesting that either people have not been properly taught
about how to share information and collaborate as a community, or the
actual discussions and 'ping-pong' happen elsewhere, outside our view.

I naturally hope there is no reason for concern, and I would love to get
some insight into why these things pop into view when you examine the
development process.

With regards,
Daniel.