incubator-general mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Zeppelin (incubating) 0.5.0-incubating
Date Sun, 19 Jul 2015 00:33:01 GMT
Hi,

+1 binding

Please fix the LICENSE/NOTICE issues are fixed for next release. Given everything involved
is Apache comparable it's more a documentation issue but still important to get right. If
you need a hand or need it reviewed before your next release just ask.

The LICENSE/NOTICE issues and missing DISCLAIMER from the binary files is more serious and
IMO they shouldn’t be released but I’ll leave that up to the PMC/IPMC.

I checked:
- signatures and hashes good
- incubating in source file
- DISCLAIMER exists
- LICENSE isn’t correct (see below)
- NOTICE also has issues (see below)
- All source has apache headers (except one)
- No unexpected binary files
- Can compile from source

LICENSE and NOTICE issues
- LICENSE states "Copyright 2014, NFLabs inc.” when it should be ASF and specified in the
NOTICE file.
- NOTICE contains Font Awesome (SIL + MIT), Ace (BSD), Simple line icons (MIT) but there is
no need for these to be in NOTICE [1]
- LICENSE should contain things mentioned in NOTICE [1]
- Has the author of  zeppelin-server/src/test/java/com/webautomation/ScreenCaptureHtmlUnitDriver.java
signed a ICLA? I notice it’s missing a header and it’s not 100% clear to me what it’s
licensing is.

For the binary release:
- Missing NOTICE and DISCLAIMER from top level directory
- Unadorned LICENSE and NOTICE in META_INF or jar and war so not correct, please see [2].
There's several NOTICE files in the libs jars that would have an impact on the binary NOTICE
file [3]

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#permissive-deps