incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Mattmann, Chris A (3980)" <chris.a.mattm...@jpl.nasa.gov>
Subject RE: Licensing Issue
Date Sat, 20 Jun 2015 23:52:30 GMT
Hey Lewis,

Is it a static dependency on that library? Or simply runtime? I've used Joshua and I think
it is a runtime dependency.
In this fashion, we could also ask for an exception due to the below.

Cheers,
Chris

From: Lewis John Mcgibbney [lewis.mcgibbney@gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, June 20, 2015 3:50 PM
To: general@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Licensing Issue

Hi Folks,
I am looking for some advice here.
We are currently in conversation about potentially transitioning the Joshua
project [0] to the foundation. Our current conversation is ongoing at [1].
>From one of the key developers of Joshua, the following question has arose;
There is an issue with an LGPL'd library for handling language models (KenLM
<https://github.com/kpu/kenlm>). There is an alternative (BerkeleyLM), but
it is not actively maintained any more and is not quite as good as KenLM in
a few key respects. A quick glance at the incubator page suggests that this
dependency would keep the project from becoming a full-fledged one. Can you
comment on this?
Thanks for any input folks
Lewis

[0] http://joshua-decoder.org/