incubator-general mailing list archives

From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Communicating intent around non-release, downstream integration binary artifacts
Date Wed, 24 Jun 2015 20:28:39 GMT
On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 12:01 PM, Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)
<Ross.Gardler@microsoft.com> wrote:
> +1 (to this and Jochen's response)
>
> Roman was explicit in his question about "clearly identifiable non-release artifacts
available to the general public". We can debate words on a page forever, or we can work with
the intent and get on with producing software.

> There is plenty of precedent here (including the oldest project in the foundation).

Link please? because I can't find it, and a couple of folks from the
httpd PMC tell me this isn't the case.

I don't think there's a problem with snapshots or nightly builds being
available. I do think there is a problem with promoting nightly
builds, or even promoting them from the website.
I do think that the Release Policy is binding on projects, and more so
on podlings that haven't kicked out a release yet.

More generally to the underlying issue that prompted this discussion:
With the concrete example of Geode's DockerHub presence, I don't think
it's acceptable:
https://registry.hub.docker.com/u/apachegeode/geode/

Specifically, it's promoting folks consume a nightly build.
There's no warning that this hasn't met the ASF standards for
software, or that this project hasn't even pushed out a release yet.
Then there's the fact that the dockerfile isn't even coming from the
ASF it's coming from: https://github.com/markito/geode-docker

--David