incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Licensing Issue
Date Sat, 27 Jun 2015 01:17:41 GMT
On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 6:58 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org
> wrote:

> Oddly, you as an individual in the US can't *put* a work into the public
> domain, but you can make a quit claim that forswears defense of any of the
> exclusive rights of you, the copyright holder.  That does not in any way
> remove the copyright that the work was born having, however.

Wow.

Just did some research on this and Dennis (not surprisingly) appears to be
right.

Yay for the Creative Commons licenses in this case. The CC0 license looks
very useful.

> But either way, one cannot assert any kind of property right over a work
> that is not yours (or of someone providing work for hire to you), whether
> public domain or not.

Perhaps true in a literal sense.  Nearly trivial (nearly!) derivative works
can be claimed with no attribution, I think if a license like the CC0 has
been applied. The issue of moral rights, especially in Europe, seems sticky.