incubator-general mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Communicating intent around non-release, downstream integration binary artifacts
Date Tue, 23 Jun 2015 19:27:26 GMT
On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 6:21 AM, David Nalley <david@gnsa.us> wrote:
> So I see a bit of nuance here.
> The project should not be promoting/advertising non-released artifacts
> outside of it's own developer community (e.g. the folks who actually
> develop Apache $foo)
>
> The developer, however, may want to show off what he is working on. He
> may want to tweet about it, give a presentation or two, invite people
> to play with an upcoming feature. He might feature that functionality
> at https://people.apache.org/~ke4qqqq/ or his own web space. The
> difference is that an individual is doing that, and not communicating
> as if he is providing downloads/releases on behalf of the project
> itself.

That's definitely part of what I'm after, thanks! Acknowledging this need of
individuals is an extremely useful intermediate step to understanding
how the progressions goes:
    0. starts with an individual working on cool, clearly pre-release
    stuff and inviting the whole world to pay attention

    1. progresses to a subset of the project itself now recognizing
     how cool it is and collaborating with that individual on a feature
     branch. Still promoting to everybody, but now as a subset of PMC/committers

     2. PMC agreeing that it is the most valuable feature in the next release
     and the project lives or dies by getting it right. Hence the
project as a whole
     now needs to make binary, non-release artifacts available.

Thanks,
Roman.