incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ross.Gard...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] Communicating intent around non-release, downstream integration binary artifacts
Date Wed, 24 Jun 2015 21:32:39 GMT
For HTTPd I was referring to the assertion from Justin earlier in this thread " FWIW, httpd
always had nightly tarballs available for consumption and testing." (though reading that now
I wonder if he meant source tarballs - which is an easy way of resolving this whole issue)

Ross

-----Original Message-----
From: David Nalley [mailto:david@gnsa.us]
Sent: Wednesday, June 24, 2015 1:29 PM
To: general@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Communicating intent around non-release, downstream integration binary
artifacts

On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 12:01 PM, Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH) <Ross.Gardler@microsoft.com>
wrote:
> +1 (to this and Jochen's response)
>
> Roman was explicit in his question about "clearly identifiable non-release artifacts
available to the general public". We can debate words on a page forever, or we can work with
the intent and get on with producing software.

> There is plenty of precedent here (including the oldest project in the foundation).

Link please? because I can't find it, and a couple of folks from the httpd PMC tell me this
isn't the case.

I don't think there's a problem with snapshots or nightly builds being available. I do think
there is a problem with promoting nightly builds, or even promoting them from the website.
I do think that the Release Policy is binding on projects, and more so on podlings that haven't
kicked out a release yet.

More generally to the underlying issue that prompted this discussion:
With the concrete example of Geode's DockerHub presence, I don't think it's acceptable:
https://registry.hub.docker.com/u/apachegeode/geode/

Specifically, it's promoting folks consume a nightly build.
There's no warning that this hasn't met the ASF standards for software, or that this project
hasn't even pushed out a release yet.
Then there's the fact that the dockerfile isn't even coming from the ASF it's coming from:
https://github.com/markito/geode-docker

--David