incubator-general mailing list archives

From Markus Weimer <mar...@weimo.de>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Communicating intent around non-release, downstream integration binary artifacts
Date Wed, 24 Jun 2015 17:02:59 GMT
> Personally I think the policy should be clarified such that nightly builds
> MUST only live on ASF infrastructure (whether that be the Nexus SNAPSHOTs
> repo, committer web space etc).  As soon as you start putting them on
> external services like DockerHub then they are potentially widely visible
> to the general public.

This is very tricky for projects outside the Java ecosystem. For .NET,
NuGet is the established way to get packages, and the ASF doesn't
provide a NuGet repository in the same way it does provide Maven
repositories.

NuGet is just one example, each of the major language ecosystems now
offers at least one (binary) artifact and dependency management
approach. Following through on the above would mean either an incredible
workload for the ASF to support it all, the exclusion of whole languages
from ASF projects or treating some as second class citizens because
their nightly builds wouldn't be testable. Neither of those strike me as
great results.

Markus