incubator-general mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache Ignite 1.2.0 release (RC2)
Date Tue, 23 Jun 2015 05:01:35 GMT
Hi,

Sorry -1 binding due to binary files in the source release. Will change my vote if there's
a good reason for this or if I’m mistaken.

I checked:
- release contains incubating
- DISCLAIMER exists
- LICENSE and NOTICE good
- Possible unexpected binary (see below)
- All source files have Apache headers
- Can compile from source

I notice a few .gar in the source release. These are similar to .war files right?
./modules/core/src/test/resources/helloworld.gar
./modules/core/src/test/resources/helloworld1.gar
./modules/extdata/p2p/deploy/p2p.gar
./modules/extdata/uri/deploy/uri.gar

The test files are probably OK, but the deploy files seem like they shouldn't be there.

The LICENSE and NOTICE for the binary files also look incorrect give the number of jars and
lack of information in LICENSE / NOTICE. This will need to be fixed at some point before graduation.
See [1] for more info. The LICENSE/NOTICE files should be different for the binaries and reflect
their contents.

I’ve not looked at the the binaries in detail but from a quick look / picking a few jar
at random I see:
- jsch-0.1.50.jar is BSD so that would need to be added to binary LICENSE.
- docker-1.9.0.jar if it;s docker then, while docker is Apache licensed it has a NOTICE file
[2], so that would need to be added to the binary NOTICE file.
- avax.servlet-api-3.0.1.jar may be problematic as it is CDDL + GPLv2. If this is an optional
dependancy if may need to be downloaded separately.

Your mentors should be able to help with what needed here or email here if the need a hand
assembling / checking before you make a release. The best guidance can be found at [3]. Keep
in mind the guiding principal [4] and it’s mostly straight forward.

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#binary
2. https://github.com/docker/docker/blob/master/NOTICE