incubator-general mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: [DRAFT] May 2015 Board Report
Date Sun, 17 May 2015 20:00:19 GMT
On Sun, May 17, 2015 at 1:55 PM, Shane Curcuru <asf@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:

> If new folks who have some ruby experience are interested, the Apache
> Whimsy pTLP is likely to be created soon, and it would be really sweet
> if the Whimsy board report tool had a custom Incubator report section.
> Imagine how cool it would be if mentors/shepherds could use the board
> director commenting/approving tools in Whimsy wihin the Incubator report...
>
>   https://whimsy.apache.org/board/agenda/

+1

It is not clear to me why many people chose to highlight "Ruby
experience" as a prerequisite.  Sure, it helps, but if you can
copy/paste code, you should do fine.  For example, take a look at the
add-comment and add-minutes files in the following directory:

https://github.com/rubys/whimsy-agenda/tree/master/views/buttons

Self.button defines the button that will show up at the bottom of the
page.  btn-primary, data-toggle, and data-target are Bootstrap
concepts.

Self.render defines the modal dialog.  If you are familiar with HTML,
you should be able to recognize h4, input, textarea, and button
elements.

componentDidMount and componentWillReceiveProps are part of the React lifecycle.

save and flag are methods associated with onClick handlers associated
with buttons.  The body of these methods do HTTP post requests and
process responses.

The code that handles the server logic triggered by POST requests is in:

https://github.com/rubys/whimsy-agenda/tree/master/views/actions

The code comes with a test suite, and can run on Linux, MacOSX,
Vagrant, or Docker.

I do have a lot more to say (for example, there is code in place to
make using Server Side Events as easy as calling Events.post on the
server and Events.subscribe on the client), but if you are interested
in making use of modern web technologies and have at least a passing
knowledge of languages like JavaScript, Perl, Python, or Ruby, please
do consider joining us once the Whimsy PMC is set up.

- Sam Ruby