incubator-general mailing list archives

From Stefan Reich <stefan.reich.maker.of....@googlemail.com>
Subject JavaX
Date Sat, 09 May 2015 12:28:56 GMT
Hi incubators! :-)

I'd like to find a home for the "JavaX" project (http://javax.tinybrain.de).

JavaX is a super-extensible version of Java.

It's probably the easiest way to extend any language existing right now.
Translators for language extensions are collected in a central repository
for everyone to use.

JavaX's current download is 18k (very compact), yet it does all I need it
to do thanks to the flexible translation architecture that downloads
language extensions from the repository on the fly.

(There is certainly stuff to add though, like support for Windows.)

We also have a little user group in Hamburg (
http://meetup.com/JavaX-User-Group/).

If Apache is interested, I'd have the following offer: As far as I am
concerned, Apache can proceed in any way the like. You can subject the
language to an organisational process, install stewards, publish the
language and so on. The stewards don't even have to be or include me. :-)

The one thing I require is that I retain the right to do the same thing -
publish and talk about the language by myself, call my products JavaX and
so on.

So there might be a split, but I wouldn't even find that bad.

If there is no split and we all collaborate - that is also acceptable. I
don't know if I want to be an official part of the ASF or so... that is why
I propose that other way of you actually doing what you want.

Of course I always like to advise, but as I said, you as a foundation could
even "grab" the whole language and call it yours. I am a very open person.

Tell me if and how you'd all like to proceed :-)

All the best,
Stefan