incubator-general mailing list archives

From Mark Struberg <strub...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: You know what... Apache is just too complicated.
Date Tue, 19 May 2015 17:29:06 GMT
> Lots of rules, Americans in the background... I don’t see that it works.

Actually Apache folks are pretty much spread around the world. There are a lot of us in Austria,
Germany, France, Spain, Italia, Poland, etc

> All you'd have to do is connect programmers to projects. Simple. Why all
> the rules?

That’s like saying that all you need to do for building a car is to take a motor and 4 tyres.
You obviously didn’t take the time to learn about what e.g. is necessary to prevent getting
your a** sued and nailed to some door.
You didn’t learn what you need to take care in hindsight of trademarks and export restrictions.

You didn’t learn how to build a proper community around a good idea.
Etc, etc, etc

Trust me, there is a good reason why things sometimes seem to run a bit slower. That doesn’t
mean that we are not productive. It just means that we know what we do.

Did you ever have a computer science lesson at your university?
One of my old professors (back in the early 90s) told us once that only 20% of the effort
of a project goes into creating the initial code base. And he was not talking about a prototype
draft - he was really talking about the final product. When YOU think you are really done
and ready for production, then you are at max 20% of time AND cost. To turn this into something
you can _really_ use in production you will need another 30%. And then all the maintenance
and polishing starts. And this will take you at least the same amount of time and cash.

Back then I thought he is wrong and I had to learn it the hard way. Today I know that 20%
is probably even too much ;)

LieGrue,
strub