incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ryan Blue <b...@apache.org>
Subject Re: You know what... Apache is just too complicated.
Date Mon, 18 May 2015 19:53:42 GMT
On 05/18/2015 11:35 AM, Stefan Reich wrote:
> Lots of rules, Americans in the background... I don't see that it works.
>
> Why don't we spend our time just PRODUCING SOMETHING?
>
> All you'd have to do is connect programmers to projects. Simple. Why all
> the rules?
>
> Cheers
> Stefan

Hi Stefan,

In my experience, the code is the easy part of a project, while building
and maintaining a community around it is the hard part. That's what
Apache focuses on: building a healthy community around a project so that
it lives beyond a single developer.

That's quite a bit more than connecting programmers with projects. For
example, what happens when the developers disagree? How do we disagree
politely and move on? Who says we *should* disagree politely and move
on? Apache's answer to this is what is behind the voting and procedure.

In addition, there are a number of concerns around ownership and
responsibility. There are a lot of rules concerning licensing that are
in place to protect contributors and those require some diligence and,
unfortunately, rules.

rb

--
Ryan Blue