Return-Path: X-Original-To: apmail-incubator-general-archive@www.apache.org Delivered-To: apmail-incubator-general-archive@www.apache.org Received: from mail.apache.org (hermes.apache.org [140.211.11.3]) by minotaur.apache.org (Postfix) with SMTP id DC15310AF0 for ; Sun, 19 Apr 2015 22:01:52 +0000 (UTC) Received: (qmail 80202 invoked by uid 500); 19 Apr 2015 22:01:52 -0000 Delivered-To: apmail-incubator-general-archive@incubator.apache.org Received: (qmail 79968 invoked by uid 500); 19 Apr 2015 22:01:52 -0000 Mailing-List: contact general-help@incubator.apache.org; run by ezmlm Precedence: bulk List-Help: List-Unsubscribe: List-Post: List-Id: Reply-To: general@incubator.apache.org Delivered-To: mailing list general@incubator.apache.org Received: (qmail 79957 invoked by uid 99); 19 Apr 2015 22:01:52 -0000 Received: from mail-relay.apache.org (HELO mail-relay.apache.org) (140.211.11.15) by apache.org (qpsmtpd/0.29) with ESMTP; Sun, 19 Apr 2015 22:01:52 +0000 Received: from mail-qk0-f174.google.com (mail-qk0-f174.google.com [209.85.220.174]) by mail-relay.apache.org (ASF Mail Server at mail-relay.apache.org) with ESMTPSA id 792821A0046 for ; Sun, 19 Apr 2015 22:01:51 +0000 (UTC) Received: by qkx62 with SMTP id 62so177505160qkx.0 for ; Sun, 19 Apr 2015 15:01:50 -0700 (PDT) X-Received: by 10.55.21.17 with SMTP id f17mr23684595qkh.41.1429480910522; Sun, 19 Apr 2015 15:01:50 -0700 (PDT) MIME-Version: 1.0 References: In-Reply-To: From: "John D. Ament" Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2015 22:01:49 +0000 Message-ID: Subject: Re: [VOTE} Climate Model Diagnostic Analyzer To: general@incubator.apache.org Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary=001a1147f248e29fdf05141af585 --001a1147f248e29fdf05141af585 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable +1 On Sun, Apr 19, 2015 at 1:03 AM Mattmann, Chris A (3980) < chris.a.mattmann@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote: > OK all, discussion has died down, we have 3 mentors, I think it=E2=80=99s > time to proceed to a VOTE. > > I am calling a VOTE now to accept the Climate Model Diagnostic > Analyzer (CMDA) into the Apache Incubator. The VOTE is open for > at least the next 72 hours: > > [ ] +1 Accept Apache Climate Model Diagnostic Analyzer into the Apache > Incubator. > [ ] +0 Abstain. > [ ] -1 Don=E2=80=99t accept Apache Climate Model Diagnostic Analyzer into= the > Apache Incubator > because=E2=80=A6 > > I=E2=80=99ll try and close the VOTE out on Friday. > > Of course I am +1! > > P.S. the text of the latest wiki proposal is pasted below: > > Cheers, > Chris > > > =3D Apache ClimateModelDiagnosticAnalyzer Proposal =3D > > =3D=3D Abstract =3D=3D > > The Climate Model Diagnostic Analyzer (CMDA) provides web services for > multi-aspect physics-based and phenomenon-oriented climate model > performance evaluation and diagnosis through the comprehensive and > synergistic use of multiple observational data, reanalysis data, and mode= l > outputs. > > =3D=3D Proposal =3D=3D > > The proposed web-based tools let users display, analyze, and download > earth science data interactively. These tools help scientists quickly > examine data to identify specific features, e.g., trends, geographical > distributions, etc., and determine whether a further study is needed. All > of the tools are designed and implemented to be general so that data from > models, observation, and reanalysis are processed and displayed in a > unified way to facilitate fair comparisons. The services prepare and > display data as a colored map or an X-Y plot and allow users to download > the analyzed data. Basic visual capabilities include 1) displaying > two-dimensional variable as a map, zonal mean, and time series 2) > displaying three-dimensional variable=E2=80=99s zonal mean, a two-dimensi= onal > slice at a specific altitude, and a vertical profile. General analysis ca= n > be done using the difference, scatter plot, and conditional sampling > services. All the tools support display options for using linear or > logarithmic scales and allow users to specify a temporal range and months > in a year. The source/input datasets for these tools are CMIP5 model > outputs, Obs4MIP observational datasets, and ECMWF reanalysis datasets. > They are stored on the server and are selectable by a user through the we= b > services. > > =3D=3D=3D Service descriptions =3D=3D=3D > > 1. '''Two dimensional variable services''' > > * Map of two-dimensional variable: This services displays a two > dimensional variable as a colored longitude and latitude map with values > represented by a color scheme. Longitude and latitude ranges can be > specified to magnify a specific region. > > * Two dimensional variable zonal mean: This service plots the zonal mean > value of a two-dimensional variable as a function of the latitude in term= s > of an X-Y plot. > > * Two dimensional variable time series: This service displays the averag= e > of a two-dimensional variable over the specific region as function of tim= e > as an X-Y plot. > > 2. '''Three dimensional variable services''' > > * Map of a two dimensional slice of a three-dimensional variable: This > service displays a two-dimensional slice of a three-dimensional variable > at a specific altitude as a colored longitude and latitude map with value= s > represented by a color scheme. > > * Three dimensional zonal mean: Zonal mean of the specified > three-dimensional variable is computed and displayed as a colored > altitude-latitude map. > > * Vertical profile of a three-dimensional variable: Compute the area > weighted average of a three-dimensional variable over the specified regio= n > and display the average as function of pressure level (altitude) as an X-= Y > plot. > > 3. '''General services''' > > * Difference of two variables: This service displays the differences > between the two variables, which can be either a two dimensional variable > or a slice of a three-dimensional variable at a specified altitude as > colored longitude and latitude maps > > * Scatter and histogram plots of two variables: This service displays th= e > scatter plot (X-Y plot) between two specified variables and the histogram= s > of the two variables. The number of samples can be specified and the > correlation is computed. The two variables can be either a two-dimensiona= l > variable or a slice of a three-dimensional variable at a specific altitud= e. > > * Conditional sampling: This service lets user to sort a physical > quantity of two or dimensions according to the values of another variable > (environmental condition, e.g. SST) which may be a two-dimensional > variable or a slice of a three-dimensional variable at a specific > altitude. For a two dimensional quantity, the plot is displayed an X-Y > plot, and for a two-dimensional quantity, plot is displayed as a > colored-map. > > > =3D=3D Background and Rationale =3D=3D > > The latest Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Fourth > Assessment Report stressed the need for the comprehensive and innovative > evaluation of climate models with newly available global observations. Th= e > traditional approach to climate model evaluation, which is the comparison > of a single parameter at a time, identifies symptomatic model biases and > errors but fails to diagnose the model problems. The model diagnosis > process requires physics-based multi-variable comparisons, which typicall= y > involve large-volume and heterogeneous datasets, and computationally > demanding and data-intensive operations. We propose to develop a > computationally efficient information system to enable the physics-based > multi-variable model performance evaluations and diagnoses through the > comprehensive and synergistic use of multiple observational data, > reanalysis data, and model outputs. > > Satellite observations have been widely used in model-data > inter-comparisons and model evaluation studies. These studies normally > involve the comparison of a single parameter at a time using a time and > space average. For example, modeling cloud-related processes in global > climate models requires cloud parameterizations that provide quantitative > rules for expressing the location, frequency of occurrence, and intensity > of the clouds in terms of multiple large-scale model-resolved parameters > such as temperature, pressure, humidity, and wind. One can evaluate the > performance of the cloud parameterization by comparing the cloud water > content with satellite data and can identify symptomatic model biases or > errors. However, in order to understand the cause of the biases and > errors, one has to simultaneously investigate several parameters that are > integrated in the cloud parameterization. > > Such studies, aimed at a multi-parameter model diagnosis, require > locating, understanding, and manipulating multi-source observation > datasets, model outputs, and (re)analysis outputs that are physically > distributed, massive in volume, heterogeneous in format, and provide > little information on data quality and production legacy. Additionally, > these studies involve various data preparation and processing steps that > can easily become computationally demanding since many datasets have to b= e > combined and processed simultaneously. It is notorious that scientists > spend more than 60% of their research time on just preparing the dataset > before it can be analyzed for their research. > > To address these challenges, we propose to build Climate Model Diagnostic > Analyzer (CMDA) that will enable a streamlined and structured preparation > of multiple large-volume and heterogeneous datasets, and provide a > computationally efficient approach to processing the datasets for model > diagnosis. We will leverage the existing information technologies and > scientific tools that we developed in our current NASA ROSES COUND, MAP, > and AIST projects. We will utilize the open-source Web-service technology= . > We will make CMDA complementary to other climate model analysis tools > currently available to the research community (e.g., PCMDI=E2=80=99s CDAT= and > NCAR=E2=80=99s CCMVal) by focusing on the missing capabilities such as co= nditional > sampling, and probability distribution function and cluster analysis of > multiple-instrument datasets. The users will be able to use a web browser > to interface with CMDA. > > =3D=3D Current Status =3D=3D > > The current version of ClimateModelDiagnosticAnalyzer was developed by a > team at The Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL). The project was initiated as > a NASA-sponsored project (ROSES-CMAC) in 2011. > > =3D=3D Meritocracy =3D=3D > > The current developers are not familiar with meritocratic open source > development at Apache, but would like to encourage this style of > development for the project. > > =3D=3D Community =3D=3D > > While ClimateModelDiagnosticAnalyzer started as a JPL research project, i= t > has been used in The 2014 Caltech Summer School sponsored by the JPL > Center for Climate Sciences. Some 23 students from different institutions > over the world participated. We deployed the tool to the Amazon Cloud and > let every student each has his or her own virtual machine. Students gave > positive feedback mostly on the usability and speed of our web services. > We also collected a number of enhancement requests. We seek to further > grow the developer and user communities using the Apache open source > venue. During incubation we will explicitly seek increased academic > collaborations (e.g., with The Carnegie Mellon University) as well as > industrial participation. > > One instance of our web services can be found at: > http://cmacws4.jpl.nasa.gov:8080/cmac/ > > =3D=3D Core Developers =3D=3D > > The core developers of the project are JPL scientists and software > developers. > > =3D=3D Alignment =3D=3D > > Apache is the most natural home for taking the > ClimateModelDiagnosticAnalyzer project forward. It is well-aligned with > some Apache projects such as Apache Open Climate Workbench. > ClimateModelDiagnosticAnalyzer also seeks to achieve an Apache-style > development model; it is seeking a broader community of contributors and > users in order to achieve its full potential and value to the Climate > Science and Big Data community. > > There are also a number of dependencies that will be mentioned below in > the Relationships with Other Apache products section. > > > =3D=3D Known Risks =3D=3D > > =3D=3D=3D Orphaned products =3D=3D=3D > > Given the current level of intellectual investment in > ClimateModelDiagnosticAnalyzer, the risk of the project being abandoned i= s > very small. The Carnegie Mellon University and JPL are collaborating > (2014-2015) to build a service for climate analytics workflow > recommendation using fund from NASA. A two-year NASA AIST project > (2015-2016) will soon start to add diagnostic analysis methodologies such > as conditional sampling method, conditional probability density function, > data co-location, and random forest. We will also infuse the provenance > technology into CMDA so that the history of the data products and > workflows will be automatically collected and saved. This information wil= l > also be indexed so that the products and workflows can be searchable by > the community of climate scientists and students. > > =3D=3D=3D Inexperience with Open Source =3D=3D=3D > > The current developers of ClimateModelDiagnosticAnalyzer are inexperience= d > with Open Source. However, our Champion Chris Mattmann is experienced > (Champions of ApacheOpenClimateWorkbench and AsterixDB) and will be > working closely with us, also as the Chief Architect of our JPL section. > > =3D=3D=3D Relationships with Other Apache Products =3D=3D=3D > > Clearly there is a direct relationship between this project and the Apach= e > Open Climate Workbench already a top level Apache project and also brough= t > to the ASF by its Champion (and ours) Chris Mattmann. We plan on directly > collaborating with the Open Climate Workbench community via our Champion > and we also welcome ASF mentors familiar with the OCW project to help > mentor our project. In addition our team is extremely welcoming of ASF > projects and if there are synergies with them we invite participation in > the proposal and in the discussion. > > =3D=3D=3D Homogeneous Developers =3D=3D=3D > > The current community is within JPL but we would like to increase the > heterogeneity. > > =3D=3D=3D Reliance on Salaried Developers =3D=3D=3D > > The initial committers are full-time JPL staff from 2013 to 2014. The > other committers from 2014 to 2015 are a mix of CMU faculty, students and > JPL staff. > > =3D=3D=3D An Excessive Fascination with the Apache Brand =3D=3D=3D > > We believe in the processes, systems, and framework Apache has put in > place. Apache is also known to foster a great community around their > projects and provide exposure. While brand is important, our fascination > with it is not excessive. We believe that the ASF is the right home for > ClimateModelDiagnosticAnalyzer and that having > ClimateModelDiagnosticAnalyzer inside of the ASF will lead to a better > long-term outcome for the Climate Science and Big Data community. > > =3D=3D=3D Documentation =3D=3D=3D > > The ClimateModelDiagnosticAnalyzer services and documentation can be foun= d > at: http://cmacws4.jpl.nasa.gov:8080/cmac/. > > =3D=3D=3D Initial Source =3D=3D=3D > > Current source resides in ... > > =3D=3D=3D External Dependencies =3D=3D=3D > > ClimateModelDiagnosticAnalyzer depends on a number of open source project= s: > > * Flask > * Gunicorn > * Tornado Web Server > * GNU octave > * epd python > * NOAA ferret > * GNU plot > > =3D=3D Required Resources =3D=3D > > =3D=3D=3D Developer and user mailing lists =3D=3D=3D > > * private@cmda.incubator.apache.org (with moderated subscriptions) > * commits@cmda.incubator.apache.org > * dev@cmda.incubator.apache.org > * users@cmda.incubator.apache.org > > A git repository > > https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator-cmda.git > > A JIRA issue tracker > > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CMDA > > =3D=3D=3D Initial Committers =3D=3D=3D > > The following is a list of the planned initial Apache committers (the > active subset of the committers for the current repository at Google code= ). > > * Seungwon Lee (seungwon.lee@jpl.nasa.gov) > * Lei Pan (lei.pan@jpl.nasa.gov) > * Chengxing Zhai (chengxing.zhai@jpl.nasa.gov) > * Benyang Tang (benyang.tang@jpl.nasa.gov) > * Jia Zhang (jia.zhang@sv.cmu.edu) > * Wei Wang (wei.wang@sv.cmu.edu) > * Chris Lee (chris.lee@sv.cmu.edu) > * Xing Wei (xing.wei@sv.cmu.edu) > > > =3D=3D=3D Affiliations =3D=3D=3D > > JPL > > * Seungwon Lee > * Lei Pan > * Chengxing Zhai > * Benyang Tang > > CMU > > * Jia Zhang > * Wei Wang > * Chris Lee > * Xing Wei > > =3D=3D Sponsors =3D=3D > > NASA > > =3D=3D=3D Champion =3D=3D=3D > > Chris Mattmann (NASA/JPL) > > =3D=3D=3D Nominated Mentors =3D=3D=3D > > Greg Reddin<