incubator-general mailing list archives

From Hitesh Shah <hit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Some questions regarding License/Notice file for a binary distribution ( convenience artifacts )
Date Thu, 23 Apr 2015 05:21:54 GMT
Thanks for the helpful pointers and a good starting point, Justin and Amareshwari.

— Hitesh

On Apr 22, 2015, at 9:10 PM, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>>  - jetty-6.1.x-jar and jetty-utils-6.1.jar - jetty is Apache License v2 but has some
bits in the Notice file ( http://svn.codehaus.org/jetty/jetty/branches/jetty-6.1/NOTICE.txt
) that I would like to understand whether I should call out in either the License and/or Notice
files

> Just take the bits mentioned that are actually bundled into your release artefact and
add those to NOTICE. [1] You can, but there no need, to add to LICENSE. [2] This probably
mean looking inside the jars and seeing what you’re bundlling. I would be concerned about
"jboss integration module”(LGPL) but I assume that is not being bundled.

>>  - jersey-client, jersey-core,jersey-* jars - these have a dual license - CDDL and
GPLv2 with Classpath Exception. I did not see any wording that stated that the jar could be
used under either license.

> Anything that is dual licensed you get to select the license, CDDL is a weak copyleft
license and should be treated as per [3]. IMO you would add this to LICENSE including where
to get the source. NOTICE should be kept as minimal as possible.