incubator-general mailing list archives

From Marko Rodriguez <okramma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Helping Neo4j Release an Apache2 API for Apache Projects
Date Thu, 30 Apr 2015 15:33:29 GMT
Hello,

Here are notes to peoples comments thus far:

	1. TinkerPop2 (prior to Apache) maintained all the vendor connectors. This was very burdensome
for the TinkerPop developers as we had to stay up to date on each vendors changes. We didn't
want to go down this road for TinkerPop3 (now Apache).

	2. However, we are interested in providing two "reference implementations" of TinkerPop.
One for OLTP (Neo4j) and one for OLAP (Hadoop). We think providing Neo4j and Hadoop "out of
the box" is a good thing for TinkerPop as it provides other vendors code to look at ("ah,
thats how they did transactions for Neo4j -- okay, I will copy that pattern") and users a
starting point ("okay, lets load my data into Neo4j by following the examples in the docs.").

	3. Note that TinkerPop3 does NOT "depend" on Neo4j. neo4j-gremlin is simply a parallel module
that can be ":install"'d by the user if they want. If the user doesn't want it, its not in
their CLASSPATH, etc. Likewise for hadoop-gremlin. However, in our docs, we like to show both
Neo4j and Hadoop as it provides more context to TinkerPop -- not just, "here is an API you
can use, good luck." So, if a user is using, lets say, titan-gremlin, there is NOTHING "Neo4j"
in their CLASSPATH, <depedency/>, etc. TinkerPop doesn't NEED Neo4j.
	-- you can see how hadoop-gremlin requires an :install (not something that is part of TinkerPop):
http://tinkerpop.incubator.apache.org/docs/3.0.0.M8-incubating/#hadoop-gremlin

	4. TinkerPop is not trying to push Neo4j in order to boost Neo4j's worth in any way. Realize
that many of the TinkerPop contributors work for a Neo4j competitor (Titan (Aurelius) ->
DSE Graph (DataStax)). We are not here to play "money games" but to make sure the graph community
has graph technology. Neo4j is an easy, stable, popular graph database with a simple <dependency/>
and you are off.

	5. We planned on giving Neo4j neo4j-gremlin so they could release it as they wish. However,
this leaves a hole in our product as then we have hadoop-gremlin as a reference implementation
of OLAP, but no OLTP counterpart. This is sorta awkward. If we gutted neo4j-gremlin, we would
then want to gut hadoop-gremlin…. However, we really don't want to do that. We think having
these two connectors available with each release makes TinkerPop easier for users and vendors
to adopt TinkerPop.

I hope this clears things up. Please ask more questions if not.

Thank you,
Marko.

http://markorodriguez.com