incubator-general mailing list archives

From jan i <j...@apache.org>
Subject Re: IP Clearance Questions
Date Wed, 08 Apr 2015 22:29:54 GMT
On Wednesday, April 8, 2015, Marvin Humphrey <marvin@rectangular.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 8, 2015 at 7:05 AM, jan i <jani@apache.org <javascript:;>>
> wrote:
> > But even so In Corinthia we bended the rules and imported directly into
> out
> > git repo. This still ensures a record == initial commit.
>
> I trust that Corinthia's actions were reasonable, but "bending the rules"
> is
> an approach you might take when the rules don't fit; it's not a
> justification
> for keeping bad rules.  We should fix this document so that it doesn't keep
> coming up.

+1, to me it seems we have a lot of projects where the initial repo == the
donation, so
I am for keeping it simple and remove the donation area from the doc.

we (IPMC) consider mostly new project. ASF as a whole must consider how to
handle donations which are addon to an existing codebase.

> Also, note that this particular form is not for incoming podlings.
>
> > The important message here is that ASF must acknowledge the grant before
> it
> > comes into any of our repos.
>
> The intent is also to assemble exactly what is being granted and provide a
> permanent legal record of the donation.

which is typically identical to the initial repo.

> If it's a tarball containing a export of from version control with no
> history,
> then it's clear: only that version.
>
> If it's a Git repo or a Subversion dump file, does the grant include all
> past
> commits on the mainline?  All branches, all tags?  What if there's some bad
> history?

This is simple if we get it with history, then it is included, however we
are well advised to
check that the SGA it is limited to current version.

> If it's a Git SHA, does the grant include all past commits, or other
> branches
> -- or is it only the *tree* represented by that SHA?
>
> Is anything crucial missing from the donation -- e.g. plugins,
> documentation,
> or platform-specific code maintained separately?
>
> The IP clearance process should ensure that all such questions are answered
> and entered into the permanent record.

is it not more correct to say that the IP clearance process must ensure
that the delivery does
not exceed the SGA.

rgds
jan i