incubator-general mailing list archives

From Steve Blackmon <sblack...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Streams Project version 0.2-incubating (rc2)
Date Mon, 13 Apr 2015 00:01:17 GMT
Justin,

The short answer is the project has not asked for permission from any
data providers to include data sourced from their APIs as test data.

I'm not expecting a rush to add +1s to a vote after legal has been
mentioned in the thread, so I'll cancel it.

I'll prepare a new release with all test resources with unclear
licensing removed and the tests that require them deactivated for now.

Steve Blackmon
sblackmon@apache.org

On Sun, Apr 12, 2015 at 10:24 AM, Justin Mclean
<justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It passes all the basic checks for a release, but sorry it's -1 (binding) from me until
the likely copyright issues around the test data are sorted out.

> I checked:
> - release has incubating in the name
> - signature and hashes fine
> - DISCLAIMER exists
> - LICENSE and NOTICE fine for the code but see below
> - No unexpected binary files
> - All source files have Apache headers
> - Can compile from source
>
> I think there's also a very minor issue with the NOTICE file. The copyright year range
is 2012-2015. I assume that date range also includes the original copyright owners who should
be added to the NOTICE file.

> However of concern is the test data, it looks like there's data in there from twitter,
facebook, instragram, google+, wikipedia, reddit, amazon, the economist and other places.
Does the project have permission to distribute this data from the copyright owners? (If so
I would of also expected the owners to be aded to the LICENSE file, assuming that is the content
is obtainable under an Apache compatible license in the first place.)

> One possible solution to make a release without the test data. The files in question
may also be required to be removed from Apache hosted version control. I'm not a lawyer and
it may be best to ask legal-discuss@ for advice on what to do here.