incubator-general mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Whimsy PMC
Date Tue, 28 Apr 2015 19:37:19 GMT
On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 3:21 PM, Ted Dunning <ted.dunning@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 9:37 AM, Roman Shaposhnik <roman@shaposhnik.org>
> wrote:
>
>> > Graduation does not require diversity of the PMC. It requires that the
>> project be run according to
>> > the Apache Way which includes being open to any viewpoint brought to the
>> project, regardless
>> > of the source. Furthermore, the initial set of committers covers a wide
>> range of contributing
>> > orgs (although we are all doing this with ASF hats).
>>
>> It is actually neither. It is viability of the community outside of
>> requirements
>> of a very particular organization. IOW, the only way for me to make sure
>> that community is not joined at the hip with ASF INFRA would be to see
>> other foundations adopt the tools and joining the community.
>
> Frankly, I can easily see that other aspects of the ASF could make good use
> of this same sort of capability.  Generating the draft incubator report is
> an example of a task that currently requires a command line program to be
> run in a partially documented environment with partially documented
> inputs.  A stable web application environment would make this much, much
> simpler, especially for new chairs like me.
>
> I can see that there might be a wish to keep missions separate, but it
> isn't implausible to broaden the mission here to support inward facing
> capabilities.  This would provide an opportunity to grow the community as
> well.

+1

Over time, I'd like to move into a "teach the teachers" role.  I see
no reason why the IPMC couldn't have a tool that is as functional and
user friendly as the board agenda tool that assembles reports.

This would be a wonderful topic to explore on the dev list once whimsy
is approved.  What I would be looking for is a volunteer.  To prep for
this, it would be helpful if that volunteer was able to get the board
agenda tool up and running on their own machine.  With a working base,
we can explore together what changes could be made to the existing
tool, or if a new tool is required (and if, so, what common code
should be factored out to support both tools).

https://github.com/rubys/whimsy-agenda#readme

- Sam Ruby