incubator-general mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RESULT][IP Clearance] Flex Documentation for Apache Flex
Date Fri, 24 Apr 2015 07:18:09 GMT
Hi,

On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 11:06 PM, Justin Mclean
<justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>>...can you clarify what you mean by "use
>> those trademarks”?
>
> By use I just mean have them appear in the existing text as they currently do. Obviously
> the missing attributions would also need to be added...

So IIUC the donated docs that will eventually be published at
http://flex.apache.org/ include mentions of trademarks that we do not
own.

In my opinion mentioning such trademarks in documentation is perfectly
ok as long as we acknowledge them, I don't see how that could cause
harm to their owner.

So I suppose if those docs mention Flex and Foo, you just need to add
a note that Apache Flex is our trademark, and Foo is a trademark of
<whoever owns it>.

Where there might be a problem is for other modules that were donated
to Flex in the meantime, without providing an explicit trademark
donation - their name might need to be changed in Flex, if we don't
own the corresponding trademarks. But that's not directly related to
this issue IIUC.

-Bertrand