incubator-general mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Whimsy PMC
Date Tue, 28 Apr 2015 16:57:27 GMT
On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 9:42 AM, Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)
<Ross.Gardler@microsoft.com> wrote:
> I don't see how this is any different from any other project. The initial contributors
will work on it to
> satisfy their needs. If organization X wants to use it they can contribute code to generalize
the
> software and make it useful to their use case. As long as it doesn't break things for
other
> users we would expect such a contribution to be accepted.

It is different in the likelihood of applicability. *In my opinion*,
the likelihood
of the following statement being true "organization X wants to use it"
(where X != ASF) is small enough for me to bother with asking the question.
That said, we're discussing hypotheticals here. Both viewpoints are
pure opinions.
You offered yours, I offered mine.

In case you're curious -- I'd ask the same question, for example,
about a community
that decided to produce software that is be only applicable as an add-on
for a small market share commercial offering.

> There are plenty such potential contributors. Whether any of them will care we don't
know, but
> making it a TLP increases the chances. Isn't that what we do here?

No. We will make Whimsy a TLP because we feel like it is a useful community
for us. Same way that IPMC or ComDev are, strictly speaking, TLPs. It
would make
no sense for ComDev to go through the incubation.

Thanks,
Roman.