incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ross.Gard...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] Whimsy PMC
Date Tue, 28 Apr 2015 16:08:12 GMT
Not sure if your concern is diversity or scale, so I'll address both separately. If your concern
is something else please be more explicit.

Graduation does not require diversity of the PMC. It requires that the project be run according
to the Apache Way which includes being open to any viewpoint brought to the project, regardless
of the source. Furthermore, the initial set of committers covers a wide range of contributing
orgs (although we are all doing this with ASF hats).

Graduation does not require scale. Apache TLPs must be able to make a release. This boils
down to at least three active PMC members.

As for going straight to TLP I agree. Sam did say this was a possibility but I believe he
(rightly so) wants to ensure that the proposal is solid before asking the board and IPMC to
consider this path.

Ross

-----Original Message-----
From: shaposhnik@gmail.com [mailto:shaposhnik@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Roman Shaposhnik
Sent: Tuesday, April 28, 2015 8:28 AM
To: general@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Whimsy PMC

Apologies if this has been asked, but Rich's points got me thinking. As it stands, I'm not
sure I can see how Whimsy can graduate without us squinting just so. Basically, I don't see
a clear way for the community to grow much beyond the initial list of committers.

In a way, I'd rather see Whimsy got straight to TLP. I honestly see no point for it to go
through the Incubator motions.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Roman.