incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ross.Gard...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] Geode Incubation proposal
Date Mon, 13 Apr 2015 05:15:20 GMT
Pivotal are asking me to agree to an "evaluation license" which I cannot view before I sign
up. So I have to review the privacy policy first.

Pivotal's privacy policy goes a *long* way beyond the point I am comfortable with when getting
open source software (or deciding whether I want to agree with an evaluation license I can't
read). I guess your defense could be that it's not open source yet, that's fine, but you are
asking me, as an IPMC Member, to make a judgement on the validity of the proposal but I can't
evaluate the code since I can't access it or the license under which I am allowed to view
it.

Most importantly, the "export and license obligations" you mention are something that have
to go away before we can accept the project (or more accurately before it can graduate). Since
I can't evaluate the code or the license I have no way of evaluating whether this is possible.
There is no mention of such an item under "known risks" or the "crypotography" section of
the proposal so what's this "export" stuff about (assuming the license thing is the evaluation
license)?

Given the points above I do not see how I can evaluate this proposal in its current form.

Ross

-----Original Message-----
From: shaposhnik@gmail.com [mailto:shaposhnik@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Roman Shaposhnik
Sent: Sunday, April 12, 2015 11:56 PM
To: general@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Geode Incubation proposal

Since I'm getting a few off-list questions, I just want to make one point
clear:

On Sun, Apr 12, 2015 at 8:53 PM, Roman Shaposhnik <roman@shaposhnik.org> wrote:
>> I'd also like to be able to review the source referred to in the
>> proposal without having to sign up to  "the Pivotal network" - how can I do that?
>
> The issue here is export and license compliance. Unfortunately,
> singing up is the only way to go right now. Why is it problematic for you?

The software currently is NOT under ALv2. It is available under the evaluation license. The
whole point of the proposal is to make it available under ALv2 as an Incubating project.

Our apologies for making folks click through the evaluation license.

Thanks,
Roman.