incubator-general mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <justinmcl...@me.com>
Subject Re: [RESULT][IP Clearance] Flex Documentation for Apache Flex
Date Wed, 22 Apr 2015 21:25:40 GMT
HI,

> If I missed listing a trademark, I’ll add it in

I think this has come up before (original Flex SDK donation?). From memory Adobe is (overly)
protective of their (non donatated) trademarks wanted to make sure that they don't become
diluted by association with open source so would prefer no mention of them. Hence the "No
other license to the Adobe trademarks are granted.” statement. In other donations (e.g.
Tour De Flex) they were removed to avoid this issue.

I'd double check you have permission from Adobe to add the trademarks before adding them.

> AFAIK, that should be acceptable to Apache, but maybe you are thinking of
> some policy that I’m not aware of or remembering.

It’s acceptable, but only if we have permission to use them, which as far as I can tell
is unclear. [1] does’t contain the "No other license to the Adobe trademarks are granted.”
statement. (point 12)

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://www.adobe.com/legal/permissions/trademarks.html