incubator-general mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Streams Project version 0.2-incubating (rc2)
Date Sun, 12 Apr 2015 15:24:15 GMT
Hi,

It passes all the basic checks for a release, but sorry it's -1 (binding) from me until the
likely copyright issues around the test data are sorted out.

I checked:
- release has incubating in the name
- signature and hashes fine
- DISCLAIMER exists
- LICENSE and NOTICE fine for the code but see below
- No unexpected binary files
- All source files have Apache headers
- Can compile from source

I think there's also a very minor issue with the NOTICE file. The copyright year range is
2012-2015. I assume that date range also includes the original copyright owners who should
be added to the NOTICE file.

However of concern is the test data, it looks like there's data in there from twitter, facebook,
instragram, google+, wikipedia, reddit, amazon, the economist and other places. Does the project
have permission to distribute this data from the copyright owners? (If so I would of also
expected the owners to be aded to the LICENSE file, assuming that is the content is obtainable
under an Apache compatible license in the first place.)

One possible solution to make a release without the test data. The files in question may also
be required to be removed from Apache hosted version control. I'm not a lawyer and it may
be best to ask legal-discuss@ for advice on what to do here.

Thanks,
Justin