incubator-general mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: Some questions regarding License/Notice file for a binary distribution ( convenience artifacts )
Date Thu, 23 Apr 2015 04:10:51 GMT
Hi,

>   - jetty-6.1.x-jar and jetty-utils-6.1.jar - jetty is Apache License v2 but has some
bits in the Notice file ( http://svn.codehaus.org/jetty/jetty/branches/jetty-6.1/NOTICE.txt
) that I would like to understand whether I should call out in either the License and/or Notice
files

Just take the bits mentioned that are actually bundled into your release artefact and add
those to NOTICE. [1] You can, but there no need, to add to LICENSE. [2] This probably mean
looking inside the jars and seeing what you’re bundlling. I would be concerned about "jboss
integration module”(LGPL) but I assume that is not being bundled.

>   - jersey-client, jersey-core,jersey-* jars - these have a dual license - CDDL and GPLv2
with Classpath Exception. I did not see any wording that stated that the jar could be used
under either license.

Anything that is dual licensed you get to select the license, CDDL is a weak copyleft license
and should be treated as per [3]. IMO you would add this to LICENSE including where to get
the source. NOTICE should be kept as minimal as possible.

Thanks,
Justin

1.http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#guiding-principle
2.http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#alv2-dep